4 replies to this topic

#1 eyedog

eyedog

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

Hi guys. I am currently looking at getting ip.content for a number of reasons.

First off, let me give you some background. I currently host a gaming website for a group of people. I'm an electrical Engineer working with MEMS and control systems, so my programming experience is in MATLAB, LabVIEW, C, etc mostly for microcontrollers. I know php, MySQL, and html, but I mostly have to fiddle with it to get what I want. We are currently only around 200-300 members, so we are not too big. We are looking at expanding past the gallery module and the static forums.

Currently, we love the setup you guys have for IPB. It's awesome. We are currently looking at setting up a member list system (the background is all currently set up). We have people who are different "ranks" in the community. We have Leaders, Administrators, Moderators, Officers, etc. I have a system set up currently that will pull all the members, and their ranks rather nicely. The problem is that I have to use php code in order to fetch data to display.

We want to have a custom page appear in the navigation part of the header that says "Members." From what I have researched, you need ip.content to post php in custom pages (unless to spend money for an app). If I have to spend money for the app, I might as well pay for the whole thing. We have been talking about expanding the website past a simple forum system, and it sounds like this app will integrate well with everything. The only concern I have, is that the documentation made it seem like you can't rename the link for the page on the header bar. Is this true? I don't want to have to have users click twice in order to view the community master list.

I know you are probably saying that we can just use the member listing tool built into the system, but we wanted something that was made a little more for us. I like the IPB software, but I think the member searching tool was lacking.

We currently have an expired license for ip.board and ip.gallery. I assume these will need to be updated as we are running 3.2.x, and the current software is at version 3.3.x. This is not a big deal, but I like to save my money.

My second question involves how much control ip.content has. Currently, my code looks like it will need to run... I'll just post it.

SELECT ibf_members.member_id, ibf_members.member_group_id, ibf_pfields_content.member_id, ibf_pfields_content.field_11, ibf_pfields_content.field_12
FROM ibf_members LEFT JOIN ibf_pfields_content ON ibf_members.member_id = ibf_pfields_content.member_id
WHERE ibf_members.member_group_id=4 OR ibf_members.member_group_id=7 OR ibf_members.member_group_id=8 OR ibf_members.member_group_id= OR 12 ibf_members.member_group_id=13 OR ibf_members.member_group_id=14 OR ibf_members.member_group_id=15
ORDER BY FIELD(field_12,'8','4','7',12,14,13,15), 'member_group_id';

This pulls all our infromation from the database for the member list, and presorts the information. This will be able to be done in ip.content, correct? The help files said that you were able to use the sql class function, but I was sure I needed to use the old sql query function.

After reading the documentation, there was a wealth of information. I have to thank you guys for putting that together. It answered most of my questions. I just want to be 100% sure about things before I think about buying something. You should have seen me bying a car. I took me 3 months just to compile the data and compare all the features, price, mpg, ratings, award, etc. I guess I go overboard sometimes!

Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 Aiwa

Aiwa

I code for fun

• +Clients
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

Yes, you can create RAW PHP templates in IP.Content.. Using PHP you can query the database and get whatever you need to display on that page...

I put together a roster for my team not too long ago using IP.Content... It's the tip of the iceberg in terms of what you're doing, but it will give you an idea of what it can do...
http://www.tacticala...m/meet-the-team

On that page, i've queried the database for the content I need. In my case, each member has a secondary group defining what rank they are... Sent that information to a template and built the output... If I were to add a new user to one of the groups shown there, that page would automatically update to show the user where they should be.

In terms of your query, there are built in query methods in IP.Board. Here is one of the queries I used to give you an idea of how to use internal functions.
$this->DB->build( array( 'select' => 'm.*',
					 'from' => array( 'members' => 'm'),
    'where' => "find_in_set(14, m.mgroup_others)",
    'order' => 'm.name ASC',
    'add_join' => array( array(
	   'select' => 'p.*',
	   'from' => array( 'pfields_content' => 'p' ),
	   'where' => 'm.member_id=p.member_id',
	   'type' => 'left',
    ) ) ) ); 
$this->DB->execute();
while( $r = $this->DB->fetch() )
{
  $captain[] = $r;
}

The only limitation in IP.Content is YOUR imagination.

My Files and Support: aiwa.me

Have a gaming community?           Need Nexus Add-ons?                    Security

-Steam Profile Integration         -Automatic Ticket Creator              -Force password Reset

-Battlefield 4 Profile Integration -No Renewals (Sell trial memberships!) 

-Support Request Menu

#3 Wolfie

Wolfie

Don't get mad, get N*Raged!

• +Clients
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:04 AM

We currently have an expired license for ip.board and ip.gallery. I assume these will need to be updated as we are running 3.2.x, and the current software is at version 3.3.x. This is not a big deal, but I like to save my money.

In case you didn't already know, there is no penalty for not renewing 'on time' and you can renew at any time to be able to get the latest version of IP.Board.

To answer a question, IP.Content does cost money but I believe will be what you're looking for.

My second question involves how much control ip.content has. Currently, my code looks like it will need to run... I'll just post it.

SELECT ibf_members.member_id, ibf_members.member_group_id, ibf_pfields_content.member_id, ibf_pfields_content.field_11, ibf_pfields_content.field_12
FROM ibf_members LEFT JOIN ibf_pfields_content ON ibf_members.member_id = ibf_pfields_content.member_id
WHERE ibf_members.member_group_id=4 OR ibf_members.member_group_id=7 OR ibf_members.member_group_id=8 OR ibf_members.member_group_id= OR 12 ibf_members.member_group_id=13 OR ibf_members.member_group_id=14 OR ibf_members.member_group_id=15
ORDER BY FIELD(field_12,'8','4','7',12,14,13,15), 'member_group_id';

IP.Content, and trying not to overstate it, is virtually unlimited in what you can do with it.

To give an example of the query in IPC form:
// define variables
$my->registry = ipsRegistry::instance();
$my->DB = $my->registry->DB();

// other stuff here

$memberInfo = $my->DB->buildAndFetch( array(
                    'select'    => 'm.member_id, m.member_group_id',
                    'from'        => array( 'members' => 'm' ),
                    'where'        => 'm.member_group_id IN (4,7,8,12,13,14,15)',
                    'order'        => 'p.field_12',
                    'add_join'    => array(
                            'select'    => 'p.*',
                            'from'        => array( 'pfields_content' => 'p'),
                            'where'        => 't.member_id=p.member_id',
                            'type'        => 'left'
            ) ) );

That might not be exactly correct, but the point comes down to it being rather easy to perform queries by using the built in database functions.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ Click here to browse or purchase IPS software. ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪
♪ side by side we're unified ♪
♪ and we will never be divided ♪

Spoiler

CLICK HERE AND VOTE IP.BOARD AS BEST FORUM SOFTWARE FOR 2013!!!

#4 eyedog

eyedog

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

Well, I was trying to avoid post sorting of the member list. From what I see, the database fetch function does not allow "ORDER BY FIELD." I could just fetch data, then sort the data inside php, then post. I think that will work best.

You guys rock! I'll be buying this in the next few days. ip.content looks amazing!

#5 Aiwa

Aiwa

I code for fun

• +Clients
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:35 PM

You can ORDER BY, it's 'order' see my query above. I order by name and sort it ASC.

My Files and Support: aiwa.me

Have a gaming community?           Need Nexus Add-ons?                    Security

-Steam Profile Integration         -Automatic Ticket Creator              -Force password Reset

-Battlefield 4 Profile Integration -No Renewals (Sell trial memberships!) 

-Support Request Menu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users