CDMS added a topic in Pre-Sales QuestionsOne Last QuestionHi there,
I think I have one last question before I purchase the Community in the Cloud $10/mo. Package. I asked this question in a previous topic, but after seeing some others make the same request, I thought I'd ask again just to make sure.
I'd be intending for this Cloud Package to be placed on my sub-domain from my original site (which is run on a WordPress platform). So in this example, the WordPress Homepage would be run at www.example.com. Can I have the IPS-hosted Cloud Package run/install on a sub-domain from my original domain, i.e. www.forum.example.com?
And if I should decide in the future to drop WordPress as my homepage and just use IP.Content, would it be difficult, using the Community in the Cloud package, to transfer the domain location of the forum from a sub-domain (www.forum.example.com) to the primary domain (www.example.com)?
If I get this answered I'm hopeful to buy the package before the end of the day. :)
- 1 reply
- 2,562 views
CDMS added a topic in Pre-Sales QuestionsQuestions Regarding "Community in the Cloud" ServiceHi there,
Firstly, apologies in advance for the extremely long block of text ahead. I've been a fan and license holder (until recently) since 2009 and love IP.Board. I think by far it's the best forum software on the market today, best organized and designed, with many features that my prior forums I operated couldn't live without.
Times changed and I dropped my license I've held since 2009 to install the software on my hosting company's services. I recently began operating a business and couldn't handle the tech-end of operating a forum on my own servers. So, I'm interested in the Community in the Cloud service IPS offers. But, I've got a few questions if someone doesn't mind answering:
1) I'm interested in selling merchandise on my future IPS-hosted forum, but not immediately (a few months from now probably). I'm more interested in building my community before trying to sell something to them, haha. I know IPS has different monthly levels to pay for different service add-ons and amounts of online users within a 48 hour average window. So, if I were to buy the basic $10/mo. package today, and in 2 weeks we surpass 10 users online at once (within the average window time frame) would I have to pay not only $10 for the first month, but $20 for the same month because I've been bumped up in users during that first month? Or would I be paying $10 for the first month, and the second month be paying $20/mo.? (Hopefully that makes sense).
2) Do guests count in regards to the 48 hour average window before I get bumped up to the next pay bracket, or not? And if those guests are bots like Google or Yahoo!, do they count or not?
3) In regards to modifications, skins, and hooks, do these have to be in the IPS Marketplace, or can they be from an outside developer who for one reason or another just doesn't upload them for sale on the IPS Marketplace? (There's a popular IP.Board skinner who I really wish to buy a skin from, who I'm sure many IPB communities have purchased from before, but I don't see his work in the IPS Marketplace).
4) I do have a WordPress for my website already. But I don't want to loose it, or connect it to IP.Board (there's really no log-in section for it, so there'd be no purpose. We don't really even use it as a blog, more like a splash page for info). But I'd like to create the IPS-Hosted forum on a sub-domain that'd be linked from my website to this sub-domain that I own. Is this possible to do with the Community in the Cloud service? (And yes, eventually we'll look into the possibility of using IP.Content as our homepage, but for now, I think it's fine for us at the moment).
5) I know we're all looking forward to an amazing new upgrade to IP.Board, the 4.0 Suite. Because I'd be on IPS' Hosting with Community in the Cloud, would my board be automatically upgraded when it's officially released, or would I have to give my approval before it's upgraded to that new software version? (I can just forsee that some things involving modifications, hooks, and skins may be off if it's updated without updating the rest of the mods, hooks, and skins at the same time - which I'd have to await their updates from the developer of those applications/skins).
6) Does Community in the Cloud involve IP.Chat and if so, how many active users at once?
Yeah, so really 6 questions. I'd really love to get back into IPS' software again. I think it's better than many forum software these days, especially since vBulletin 4 & now 5 are becoming train wrecks and severely overpriced. Plus, I'd like to say the folks at IPS are really pricing their Community in the Cloud services at amazing prices. Granted, in the long run it might be easier to buy your own license, but for people like me who are tech challenged or want to ensure uptime and support, it's a win win. Great prices, great software, and great service - very commendable.
Thanks and hope to hear a response back before I end up purchasing the service,
- 2 replies
- 3,662 views
CDMS added a topic in IP.GalleryVideo Hosting off of IP.GalleryHi guys,
I'm hoping someone might be able to answer a question about video hosting on IP.Gallery. I've purchased IP.Gallery quite a while ago. I've always known it CAN support videos, but I'm wondering what kinds. I'm sure the normal YouTube videos can be supported on there. I'm just wondering, could I host my own self-hosted video footage? I ask because I'm trying to run an operation where ONLY certain members on my forum in a specific member group can view these videos, and cannot view them from another outside source provider. If I should go through YouTube uploading the videos there, then uploading them to IP.Gallery, they still can be tracked back to YouTube where anybody can see them. These videos are specifically for a specific member group on my forum and I would like for only them to see these videos.
So, is there a way to upload video content that is SELF-HOSTED to IP.Gallery (that has NO connection to YouTube or other video uploading portals)?
Thanks and looking forward to a reply!
- 5 replies
- 3,171 views
CDMS added a topic in Pre-Sales QuestionsQuestion on IP.NexusHi there. I've been an active customer of IP.Board for several years through several versions and I have to say I love the software. But, I have yet to use the IP.Nexus Application, and I'm a little confused on the point of it. I know that it's a type of eCommerce marketplace for a forum. But, I was wondering if it could be turned into a type of eBay-like application where the "Members" themselves could actually put up products to sell. If that's not possible, that's perfectly fine. Just wondering because others may have a similar question. :)
- 1 reply
- 521 views
CDMS added a topic in Pre-Sales QuestionsQuick Couple Of QuestionsI use to be a customer about 6 months ago and am considering re-activating my account, but before I do, I've been looking around on the Internet for free and paid skins and I always see the creator's name where the logo should be. Some are on the top left, middle, or right of the board's their demoing.
Now, to get onto my point. I know IPB 3.0 has a Easy Logo Editor because I've used it before. But, I forgot if I can move the logo that I upload off my PC onto either the Left (which I know for a fact that the Easy Logo Editor automatically does), Middle (which I'd like it to go on a certain skin), or onto the right top corner of the site's skin. Or, is there a free positioning feature where I can put the logo anywhere on the top of the site?
Just wondering if I could get that cleared up a bit.
Also, I'm wondering another thing about the package I currently own, but is inactive. I've already contacted IPS a couple times with some questions about this, and they were very helpful (good service too), but I have another question. I bought my package when IPS was selling the "Community Package" with the IPB Forum, IP.Gallery, and IP.Blog all together. But, the forum was bought as a 2.3 Version. I was wondering, when I re-activate the software and have it uploaded to my "future site", will it be in version 2.3, or will I have to update the software to 3.1? (My hosting can do that all for me with their service, but I'd just like to make sure what I'm getting myself into.)
- 4 replies
- 724 views