Page-title is not honored when using {parse articles}

82 posts in this topic

Posted

What brings me back to my initial suggestion to have an openly configurable title field like the date format field ;) then everyone would be more than happy :)

I think this would work best if it is possible IMO.

Then you can have variables like:

{article-name}
{page-title}
{category}
etc...

And also allow it to handle normal text so you could customise like:

{article-name} - {page-title} - Some random text

Where some random text could also be what you want the site to be called. And you could write it in any order, IP.Content simply parses the line and puts it in the <title> Field for each article, page, etc. Seeing as all the variables are already being called, I cant imagine it adds that much to add an extra field in the articles config in ACP, and then in the php script that runs to generate the page.

Posted

Does that fix the issue of having 2 pages with the same title?

It does not seem it would fix that issue unless my content issue were fixed first.

That i'm not sure of, all i wanted was to get rid of the 'Articles' in the title, I added a fixed title in my page template and since i use the same template for all my content pages my problem is solved.

Posted

... since i use the same template for all my content pages my problem is solved.

Not in terms of SEO ;)

Posted

Is there any update on this? Maybe a manual edit we can do for now?

I don't know how far along the next IP.Content version is, but this is one of the things on my list I'd really like to get sorted before my site goes live next month.

Ta.

Posted

Is there any update on this? Maybe a manual edit we can do for now?

I don't know how far along the next IP.Content version is, but this is one of the things on my list I'd really like to get sorted before my site goes live next month.

Ta.

same thing here, i am basically waiting for a fix until my site can go live

Posted

This isn't something we're going to make a modification or a patch for. It's not a bug, it's a suggested change for the next version. I will be visiting this area in the next version, however at this time there is no estimate of when that may be I'm afraid.

Posted

This isn't something we're going to make a modification or a patch for. It's not a bug, it's a suggested change for the next version. I will be visiting this area in the next version, however at this time there is no estimate of when that may be I'm afraid.

Thanks for the reply, I'd rather hear a not right now, than no response at all :)

I'll start having a look through the code tonight and maybe devise a "dirty fix" which I'll post up here, for people to use if they so wish (at their own risk obviously).

Hopefully it can be implemented into the next version in some shape or form.

Cheers.

Posted

Right I have done a bit of digging and come up with a fix/hack. This will allow you to have: {Current IP.Content generated title}{Some custom text}. For my front page (with page name set to Home) I have: "Home - domain.com"

1, First we need a place to set what we want as our custom title, as this is a quick fix we will be using the IP.Board config file to define our text.

OPEN:

/initdata.php

FIND:

/* Min PHP version number */

define( 'MIN_PHP_VERS', '5.1.0' );

ADD AFTER:

/* Custom Title for CCS */

define( 'CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE', 'Some Custom Text' );

Note: You can place the text you want in place of

Some Custom Text

I simply used

define( 'CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE', ' - domain.com' );

If you want to include apostrophes (e.g. Bob's Site), you must escape them with a

\

i.e.

define( 'CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE', 'Bob\'s Site' );

2, Now we need to tell IP.Content to use our custom text when it writes the html titles. OPEN:

/admin/applications_addon/ips/ccs/sources/articles.php

FIND:

if( $category['category_name'] )

{

$this->registry->output->setTitle( $category['category_name'] );

}

REPLACE WITH:

{

$this->registry->output->setTitle( $category['category_name'] . CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE );

}

FIND:

if( $this->categoryLimit )

{

$this->registry->output->setTitle( $this->categories->categories[ $this->categoryLimit ]['category_name'] );

}

else

{

$this->registry->output->setTitle( $this->database['database_name'] );

}

REPLACE WITH:

if( $this->categoryLimit )

{

$this->registry->output->setTitle( $this->categories->categories[ $this->categoryLimit ]['category_name'] . CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE );

}

else

{

$this->registry->output->setTitle( $this->database['database_name'] . CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE );

}

FIND:

{

$this->registry->output->setTitle( $category['category_name'] );

}

else

{

$this->registry->output->setTitle( $this->database['database_name'] );

}

REPLACE WITH:

{

$this->registry->output->setTitle( $category['category_name'] . CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE );

}

else

{

$this->registry->output->setTitle( $this->database['database_name'] . CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE );

}

FIND:

$this->registry->output->setTitle( $record[ $this->database['database_field_title'] . '_value' ] );

REPLACE WITH:

$this->registry->output->setTitle( $record[ $this->database['database_field_title'] . '_value' ] . CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE );

I have done this on my own site and it all works fine, I do not warrant the correctness of the above instructions, you use them at your own risk, I advise taking a backup first and then putting the site into offline mode while you make the changes. If you do not feel confident editing these files, then DO NOT DO IT.

I hope this helps some people,

Cheers.

Marco Baranna likes this

Posted

whats the status on this?
AlexJ likes this

Posted

i am desperately waiting for a fix as well

Posted

i am desperately waiting for a fix as well

Was there ever a solution found?

Posted

no, IPS does not seem to care about this :(

altenerg likes this

Posted

Actually, it's on an internal to-do list. Just because we haven't already changed something doesn't mean we "don't care about it".

The reality of the matter is that we are all very very very busy here.

Posted

Thanks for getting back to us. The thing is: this is - at least in my mind - one very essential thing in terms of SEO. I am having my site under construction for nearly 6 months now and do not want to launch the site the way this is being handled right now. I imagine others think the same - can you tell me a eta for this feature.

I realize that my previous post had a very poor choice of words, sorry for that. I did not want to imply that you are lazy or something ;)

Posted

If it helps, the next product that we are planning a major update for is IP.Content. The 2.2.0 release was merely a compatibility release.

Marcher Technologies and odox like this

Posted

If it helps, the next product that we are planning a major update for is IP.Content. The 2.2.0 release was merely a compatibility release.

My content license expires in December. GOGOGO
:P

Posted

Is this for real???????

I've just spent the whole weekend converting my site from a joomla and vbulletin hybrid to ip.content/ip.board and my ######ing home page is "News" What the heck?????

I assumed ip.content would have this functionality but obviously I was mistaken.... So now I'm forced to go live and "News" is root page title......

Sorry to vent but this just seems to be a serious oversight and is incredibly frustrating

altenerg likes this

Posted

Is this for real???????

I've just spent the whole weekend converting my site from a joomla and vbulletin hybrid to ip.content/ip.board and my ######ing home page is "News" What the heck?????

I assumed ip.content would have this functionality but obviously I was mistaken.... So now I'm forced to go live and "News" is root page title......

Sorry to vent but this just seems to be a serious oversight and is incredibly frustrating

The key before buying a paid script is to test it and confirm all your questions and issues before buying it.. I understand your frustration altrough and I dont mean to be rude.

Posted

The key before buying a paid script is to test it and confirm all your questions and issues before buying it.. I understand your frustration altrough and I dont mean to be rude.

thing is, if you buy a car, you usually expect that it drives, has brakes, an airbag and that you can call your car whatever you like. not "news". I am stuck nearly 10 months now... :(
altenerg likes this

Posted

Grr. Really annoyed with myself for moving from Joomla to IP Content. I'm shocked that I am unable to change the page titles. Anyone know when this update is coming, there's some very simple and expected functionality missing from a paid for CMS product.

altenerg likes this

Posted (edited)

bear with me.... this is actually the easiest fix... this is assuming you are willing to sprinkle some frontpage API magic to tell whats there atm to shove.... not at all an ideal fix, just a useable one for versions it wont be fixed on... useful only when placed on a homepage article "front-page" template, not good for cats.... it(CKE) totally stripping out <php> on edit ...>.<

<php>

$this->registry->output->setTitle('My homepage title, site name ala shove');

$this->registry->output->addMetaTag('Description', 'because the settings are bogus');

$this->registry->output->addMetaTag('Keywords', 'IPB, IPC');

</php>

Edited by Marcher Technologies
altenerg likes this

Posted

Awesome thank you :-)

Posted

once the page title is honored... some could still have uses for such devious methods(maybe i dont want articles title OR page title as homepage yknow?... or maybe i wanna append it(title, description, tags) HOW I want(or client wants) with local $vars...).... its just a static API call...
EG... a "fix" has been in IPB documentation from day 1 of this topic....

Posted

Just wanted to update everyone. Here is what I have gone with by default for all databases (including articles):

Index page: Database name - Page name - Website name (or board name, if no website name)
Category page: Category name - Database name - Page name - Website name (or board name, if no website name)
Record page: Record name - Category name (if available) - Database name - Page name - Website name (or board name, if no website name)

This should most accurately reflect your depth into the database. That said, I have also done 2 more things to allow much greater control for power users who require it:

1) The page title is now set via a separate function so that you can easily write a hook to override just this one function and control completely how page titles are set

2) I have also implemented a "template" style approach as requested by DReffects2, with the caveat that I opted to avoid ACP settings for this. Instead, if you wish to specify the 'template' for a page title, you can define 3 constants in conf_global.php which will then be used. Here is the details for that

* define( 'CCS_PAGE_TITLE_HOME', '' ); * define( 'CCS_PAGE_TITLE_CAT', '' ); * define( 'CCS_PAGE_TITLE_RECORD', '' ); * // Following variables will be replaced: * // {page_name} = Page name * // {database_name} = Databae name * // {category_name} = Category name (only available for CCS_PAGE_TITLE_CAT and CCS_PAGE_TITLE_RECORD) * // {record_name} = Record name (only available for CCS_PAGE_TITLE_RECORD) * // {website_name} = Website name as configured in ACP * // {board_name} = Board name as configured in ACP * </code>

* <code>

I know many prefer to have ACP settings, but the reality is having the ability to configure the page title in multiple places can be confusing for new users, especially once you start talking about per-database configurations for multiple different views, so I wanted to keep the experience for new users clean and simple (and automated, with a suitable default), but still give power users who want ultimate control some sort of options for this.

We will be blogging about this later (and I will discuss this with the documentation team closer to release to ensure this is documented), but I wanted to reply here to see if this multi-tiered approach will give everyone what they need.

Posted

2) I have also implemented a "template" style approach as requested by DReffects2, with the caveat that I opted to avoid ACP settings for this. Instead, if you wish to specify the 'template' for a page title, you can define 3 constants in conf_global.php which will then be used. Here is the details for that

I love you!! :)

:heart: :heart: :heart: