Less is often (way) more

28 posts in this topic

Posted

Three excellent point. I keep my rules simple, I have around 10 dot points of the important rules, then a breif explaination of how the warning system works. You can censor profanity, so there is little point telling people not to swear. Most of the rules are common knowledge, but I have them pointed out as a refrence to give to people if they do break some rules.

I have seen a lot of new forums where they make the mistake of creating lots of forums, it makes their forum look completly dead and isn't inviting.

Posted

Very important advice.

Keep it simple, especially when your site is starting out. When things start getting out of control, then you can think about how it might be best to expand.

Posted

Whenever I think about forum software I always go back to one thing in my mind.

You do not create communities, communities already exist.

The job of good software (and admins) is to help those communities organize themselves. Try not to mold the community with preconceived ideas of what categories and forums may be needed and instead react by organizing the content that is actually created.

Posted

Good point Charles...I might just remove my forum descriptions now. I remember when writing them I just couldn't figure out what to put there. I realize now it's because I felt that all the information was clearly already there in the title.

Posted

I am also considering removing some of my descriptions!

Posted

I am also considering removing some of my descriptions!

This is where IPS removes forum descriptions from the core software. :laugh:

Posted

There are times they make sense ;)

Posted

Many forums use the forum descriptions to make up for the themed, flavored, or abstractly named forums. Some forums use them because of language reasons, as I've seen forums where members said the forum uses too much "American English" or words they haven't learned in English yet.

But if forum titles are already clear and simple, I think removing them is fine and better than some bland description saying obvious things.

Posted

I like to keep the names of my forum simple and usually no longer than two words. So the description is still needed, :)

Posted

Exaclty... and its awful to see some forums with like 5000 forum sections and only like 3000 posts and then all these flashing lights and all that crap around the forum...

Posted

My forum rules have always been simple and precise.

Rule 1: Do not piss of the Staff. Ever. ...especially the owner.

Rule 2: See rule #1.

Egregious transgressions will get you a suspension or ban.

Posted

I guess I am guilty of lengthy rules. It seems like I am always having to add something. Every time a member crosses the line, they will come back with "well I don't see that in the rules". My site is mostly made up of older folks. They have no concept of "netiquette". They spam, troll, and sometimes even flame one another, but have no idea that its a bad thing. They post crap on their FB pages and think its okay to do the same on my site.

Posted

I guess I am guilty of lengthy rules. It seems like I am always having to add something. Every time a member crosses the line, they will come back with "well I don't see that in the rules". My site is mostly made up of older folks. They have no concept of "netiquette". They spam, troll, and sometimes even flame one another, but have no idea that its a bad thing. They post crap on their FB pages and think its okay to do the same on my site.

As I. I was used to (back in the day) with being in a community with rules about 2 pages long. Moderators kept linking to rules that no one ever read. Used to it now, I finally learned to make it to the point.

Posted

If in doubt about thoroughly covering every nook and cranny, use this:

No illegal or inappropriate behavior.

If you would like to know whether something would count as illegal or inappropriate on this site, ask us.

Posted

We too have lengthy rules & guidelines. We just got tired of certain members trying to fire back to the Mods a similar comment as the one you mentioned in your quote of "well I don't see that in the rules" or "I didn't know it was against the rules". I understand they're lengthy and nobody said they have to read them all, but it gives us a way to back ourselves up when certain members start breaking rules that they supposedly "didn't know were there".

Posted

Honestly, i don't even make rules anymore on my sites... I expect people to have common sense, treat others the way they want to be treated and be fair. That's it, all the little children who have nothing better to do get banned and my community prospers on without having to enforce any rules unless someone goes out of line which is quite rare to be honest.... Just gotta know how to talk with your members and explain them the situation, 99% of them apologize and won't do it again and the 1% will enjoy your Ban Hammer. Still, rules couldn't hurt because they could be referenced but really... to a mature audience, i think its perfectly clear whats okay and whats not.

Posted

Honestly, i don't even make rules anymore on my sites... I expect people to have common sense, treat others the way they want to be treated and be fair. That's it, all the little children who have nothing better to do get banned and my community prospers on without having to enforce any rules unless someone goes out of line which is quite rare to be honest.... Just gotta know how to talk with your members and explain them the situation, 99% of them apologize and won't do it again and the 1% will enjoy your Ban Hammer. Still, rules couldn't hurt because they could be referenced but really... to a mature audience, i think its perfectly clear whats okay and whats not.

The problem I have had with the "ban hammer" is I've been accused of censorship or being a Nazi. Many of my members troll or spam -- not on purpose -- just out of ignorance. They don't even know what those terms mean. And I love when they throw the Freedom of Speech line at me. I've only had to outright ban 3 members. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Many of my members tell me I am too nice and too lenient. But after a while there is only so much crap you want to put up with. Life is too short and my site takes up so much of my life as it is...
steve922 likes this

Posted

And I love when they throw the Freedom of Speech line at me.

I love this one too. This one happens so many times that I wrote a standardized email where I explain the meaning of freedom of speech. They will usually give up after they receive it.

In earlier times every village had their own village idiot. When the Internet arrived all the village idiots moved into the same village. :thumbsup:

Posted

I love this one too. This one happens so many times that I wrote a standardized email where I explain the meaning of freedom of speech. They will usually give up after they receive it.

In earlier times every village had their own village idiot. When the Internet arrived all the village idiots moved into the same village. :thumbsup:

Can I see this email?

Posted

Sorry, it's in norwegian.

But it's simply a short text where I explain the difference of the freedom of speech and the right to be published. The freedom of speech will only give them the right to make their own web site to express their opinions, but they may not demand to be published on any other web sites. Then I follow up with an example from book publishing: You may write your own book, but you may not go to a publisher and demand them to publish it for you. If you want to publish it, and there are no publisers willing to do it, you would have to print the book yourself, and contact any stores and ask them if they would sell it. If noone will sell it, you'll have to open your own store to sell it. So if they would like to express themselves, they'll have to create their own forum/blog/web site.

This is a simple summary of the email, but it catches the major points.

Most people will understand and won't make any more problems.

Ruiskisee, paw and inhemnirm like this

Posted

My forum rules have always been simple and precise.

That's "piss off"... ;)

Posted

I couldn't agree more. But it's becoming so common that on a lot of forums when you see someone infracted or banned their initial response is "but it doesn't say that in the rules". It's a lot like some common law countries legal systems where the law is becoming so complex that no one really has any idea what's illegal and what's not.

I remember in the early 2000s most forums had it simple: No racism, no unwarranted flaming and no illegal/NSFW stuff. Done. Everything else was common sense. Okay, so perhaps some signature guidelines are fine. But having specific posting templates and requirements for particular forums is just nuts. I never read the rules.

Posted

good tips for starting a "new" forum.

"Way too many forums and sections"

We have more than 50 forums and about 90 sections. We have atleast 35 replies in each section and on average about 25 topics and 1,700 replies in each forum. some sections have 290 topics and 1500 replies others have 10 topics and 1000 replies....

I remember when we started our first forum, it failed, because we had too many sections too few members with knowledge. Now that we have over 11,000 members and 1000's of active members we're opening up one section after another.

volunteers are the ones that built our forum, with out them we would have such a great community. and thanks to IP board we're growing everyday by more than 70 members.

Posted

On my newest community there's only 5 sections. I might expand it at a later stage, but so far those five seem to be enough.