IP Gallery - It's driven us away from IPS to the competition

112 posts in this topic

Posted

So you guys are doing the mobile app, nexus, and gallery at the same time? That's pretty cool.

Different members of our staff do different things of course. We always have a few things going on at once. Right now Gallery and Nexus are getting large updates. IP.Board and the other apps are getting maintenance releases as needed.

Posted

The mobile app developer only works on the mobile app - Objective C and Java are not the same as PHP, so we have a developer on board (Brett L) who is more specialized in that area.

Tigratrus likes this

Posted

No offense, but am I supposed to believe that? It's not the first time a dev said that. I don't know, ever since gallery 4 hit... my IPS experience has been less than satisfactory.

I haven't been able to upgrade my forum and rest of softwares because I am currently stuck with gallery 3.2. I did try test runs with a separate installtions to test galley 4.x series. The least you guys could have done is make gallery 3.2 compatible with rest of newer platform, but instead you shut some (or major) of gallery users out who wanted to keep using 3.2.

I've reviewd my licenses but probably won't the next time. The reason I moved from Vb was because of the gallery.

you can easily run IPB 3.3 and gallery 3.2.2 - we are doing such thing on my sites.
My developer did some small changes in code to be compatible with newer version of core forum
Alfa1 likes this

Posted

Several weeks, a few months. . .whatever it takes to make IP Gallery as great as IP Board. :wub:

Posted

you can easily run IPB 3.3 and gallery 3.2.2 - we are doing such thing on my sites.

My developer did some small changes in code to be compatible with newer version of core forum

Could you share the code changes? The state of IP.Gallery is a major obstacle preventing me to use IPS.

Posted

Several weeks, a few months. . .whatever it takes to make IP Gallery as great as IP Board. :wub:

Different members of our staff do different things of course. We always have a few things going on at once. Right now Gallery and Nexus are getting large updates. IP.Board and the other apps are getting maintenance releases as needed.

I know IPS has to look at many thing to make everything work out but with all the feature strip and function shovel in to a sack and put out the door, the upgrade to just make it work with IPB 3.2 or so was a most lacking then what it was. Was that maybe not a development oversight from IPS design when the software is redone? This upgrade coming is adding the features back in that were taken out...but why go backwards when we should improve on it not strip it away?

Posted

if you haven't got the manpower to keep all application development up to date then surely that's a major issue ?
can't you bring in freelancers or put stuff out for tender ?

Posted

if you haven't got the manpower to keep all application development up to date then surely that's a major issue ?

can't you bring in freelancers or put stuff out for tender ?

Where did I say we didn't have the manpower?

Posted

Where did I say we didn't have the manpower?

every time you say have to wait etc for development to finish on one application before expect further on others

Posted

every time you say have to wait etc for development to finish on one application before expect further on others

That doesn't mean we have a manpower shortage :) ... that means we like to focus on things we are working on. Focus leads to better results. Right now we are focusing on Gallery and it will lead to good results.
IPS_Fan, Chetan105, Alfa1 and 6 others like this

Posted

That doesn't mean we have a manpower shortage :smile: ... that means we like to focus on things we are working on. Focus leads to better results. Right now we are focusing on Gallery and it will lead to good results.

And there was much rejoicing... Seriously. ;)

IP.G probably has the biggest bang for your buck atm in terms of how much better it could be/Dev hours invested.

IP.G has great potential as a synergistic part of the IPS platform esp if it's easier to use to make other content types BETTER by embedding (re)usable images/video etc. [insert plug for embedded content opening in a lightbox/highslide instead of navigating away from the content that is actually being viewed]

Specific areas that need improvement IMO based on what I've had come up trying to work on the migration of our legacy gallery to IP.G:

1. Better ability to browse the front end is essential, the current mishmash is a total fail for those using browse style.
2. Planning for how images can be searched for is pretty essential. ATM the search seems to NOT be designed for success as it only seems to look at comments?
3. An image uploader that resizes on the CLIENT end instead of the server would drastically improve the usability for members who either have a slower connection or have no clue how to resize images (a surprising large number of folks).
4. ADMIN control of gallery. Members should in no way be able to delete content without mod involvement if an Admin has set options specifying that deletion of images/albums is NOT allowed. Everyone understands that in the forums, I have no IDEA why members can bypass any admin set restrictions to delete ANYTHING they have uploaded into the gallery at any time. BAD. :sad:
5. Parent-Child relationship of Globals/sub globals should be inheritance based. Permissions on set on a parent Global should be inherited by sub globals/member albums unless they are specifically changed.
6. Managing albums needs to be be much improved. We should be able to merge/split albums like we can merge/split forums.

James
3DKiwi, Weppa333, Camoo and 2 others like this

Posted

That doesn't mean we have a manpower shortage :smile: ... that means we like to focus on things we are working on. Focus leads to better results. Right now we are focusing on Gallery and it will lead to good results.

Charles
thanks for reply
I would say that the focus method does currently leave other applications wanting, while some are minor, surely makes sense to continually improve each product rather than large lengthy gaps between development

if you look at gallery there are now 4/5 month old outstanding bugs/omission's that range from show stopping uploads for ie8 users to minor but could be important to some - canonical urls
sure can and do end up sorting them out myself, but is it really good practice to leave such bugs/omission's in place for such a long time?

if you look at other apps then there's a fair few minor improvements that could be ongoing or as suggested tendered out
ipcontent - mobile skin, chat - improvements, intergration such as calendar - adding tags and profile tabs and so on

The focus method sound and reads great but once the focus has moved shouldn't work/improvements still carry on, not just stop as has been the case with gallery this year

Posted

Looking at the bug tracker and such is very misleading. When we are doing a larger, new release as we are with Gallery now you often will not see activity in the bug tracker.

Posted

Looking at the bug tracker and such is very misleading. When we are doing a larger, new release as we are with Gallery now you often will not see activity in the bug tracker.

thanks again for the reply
was just taking the opportunity to pass on some concerns/suggestions etc
as been done, I will leave it at that now
thanks

Posted

With that being said though, IP Gallery is what has stopped us from further purchasing more IPB licenses. In fact, we've moved some of our current sites away from IPB to competing software.

The gallery is such an important part of a community and IP Gallery simply does not live up to a publishers or a users expectations. I'm not going to rehash here what's wrong with IP Gallery because it's been discussed over and over again.

It's obviously not economically in our best interests to leave a license "idle", purchase "redundant" software AND change everything around, but IP Gallery just doesn't cut it.

Is a shame but for some reason the gallery went completely backwards and issues with it were completely ignored for numerous updates with plenty of us frustratedly reporting them over and over again at each update in the Tracker... I too have been holding off future purchases as much as possible due to the way the gallery went.

Fingers crossed for a gallery back on track in the next update casue it's been way too long for those of us who do use it extensively within our communities, and I don't really want to change over just becasue of the gallery.

Posted

Personally I think there's some good suggestions above especially when it comes to image sizing.. but overall I gotta say Gallery for us has been a huge success, we got a lot of people that use it for sure, actually almost all the regulars. As it's just my opinion here as others have had a opportunity to state theirs, I hope IPB's not going to change flow and feel too much :smile:

Posted

Is a shame but for some reason the gallery went completely backwards and issues with it were completely ignored for numerous updates with plenty of us frustratedly reporting them over and over again at each update in the Tracker... I too have been holding off future purchases as much as possible due to the way the gallery went.

Fingers crossed for a gallery back on track in the next update casue it's been way too long for those of us who do use it extensively within our communities, and I don't really want to change over just becasue of the gallery.

My sentiments exactly.

Posted

Okay so what alternatives are there e.g. Vbulletin and what gallery or Zenforo and what gallery?

I'm not looking to change but I would be interested in seeing a better working gallery. About the best looking gallery system I've seen is

piwigo.

It's front end is much better than IP Gallery i.e. looks better and easier for people to view and or find what they want to see.

3DKiwi

This looks like a gallery from the 90's, not really appealing to me. The 500px gallery seems to do a better job representing current web design.
svit likes this

Posted

This looks like a gallery from the 90's, not really appealing to me. The

500px

gallery seems to do a better job representing current web design.

agree
imo this is a great album list type layout
http://500px.com/Slowhand/sets
svit and jackflash like this

Posted

Thanks the 500px gallery looks a lot better than what we have with IP Gallery 4. No ridiculously small thumbnails.

3DKiwi

Gerry 5039, TaffyCaffy and Makoto like this

Posted

Ireally like the xenforo image viewer, with mousewheel controls.I hope that IPG will offer similar modern html5 / jquery technology.

AlexJ likes this

Posted

One thing I'd REALLY like to stress...

A lot of us do NOT want a gallery system that is designed around the idea of it being a PHOTOGRAPHY website. That's a big part of the problem I have with a lot of the various gallery systems out there. My membership could not care LESS about f stops, exposures etc. They want an EASY way to upload, share and reuse images of them and their projects that they can use in discussions on the forums, blogs etc.

They want to come to our site and be able to slice and dice the gallery to find examples of the kind of project they are looking to do so that they can see how different options LOOK. Having categorized images that are searchable and WELL DESCRIBED on the page is crucial to them being able to find relevant images and also greatly impacts the visibility in the search engines.

James

Alfa1, jackflash, tenaki and 9 others like this

Posted

One thing I'd REALLY like to stress...

A lot of us do NOT want a gallery system that is designed around the idea of it being a PHOTOGRAPHY website. That's a big part of the problem I have with a lot of the various gallery systems out there. My membership could not care LESS about f stops, exposures etc. They want an EASY way to upload, share and reuse images of them and their projects that they can use in discussions on the forums, blogs etc.

They want to come to our site and be able to slice and dice the gallery to find examples of the kind of project they are looking to do so that they can see how different options LOOK. Having categorized images that are searchable and WELL DESCRIBED on the page is crucial to them being able to find relevant images and also greatly impacts the visibility in the search engines.

James

Nicely said.

Posted

A lot of us do NOT want a gallery system that is designed around the idea of it being a PHOTOGRAPHY website.

Indeed. I'll add another kicker to this. James wants more of a well categorized "display shelf" for images related to various projects that customers can easily navigate, and the current setup doesn't work well for him. For the site I'm currently working on, I need a gallery for display of...photography, and the current setup doesn't work well for me either. It's not a pretty picture for an app when two people wanting to use it in drastically different ways both have the same issues with it - if you go back a page and read James's post listing the things he'd like changed, you'll get my list of complaints as well.

IPS staff (especially Matt) - please don't take this as an angry whine. I truly enjoy using the suite and building stuffs with it. However, for me, Gallery sticks out like a sore thumb with both its visual style and the relative lack of administrative control over member base within the app when compared to the rest of the platform.

James's list of suggestions on the previous page is mine as well.

Posted

A gallery should be the extension of the attachment system. Or the other way around. There should be optimal integration. Else its one system bolted on another. The same goes for IP.Downloads.

DeltaHF and Rick L like this