The New Gallery 5.0, Well Sort Of, Look-ie! :D

61 posts in this topic

Posted

Okay if you read the latest blog they are working on Gallery 5.0! yaya!! Well I'm for one glad to get some love to a part of our community that was way lacking of feature compare to the rest of IPS applications. With much interest I read over the blog and then came the seek peek. Yeah....huh? NOoooooooooooooooooo...same look just worst. Thus I will give IPS my input via visual so nothing is misunderstood. So let get going.

First of all I put together what the gallery would look like if it was not cut up as in the blog post.

The problem with the new gallery look so far is, it looks to much like a forums interface not a gallery. Also a second slider on the same page as it current set up is very ugly. One web standard of a webpage is to much stuff that get move is not always a good thing.

We would like a gallery that shows the user images pictures, so show us pictures!! :drool: YES Pictures!!! :wub: MUAHAahaaaaaa!!!! :rofl: Pictures. :wub: :sweat: :sorcerer:

So after all that then you get the FINAL ENDING! :D Which everybody loves :wub: I think. >_<

Thus in ending give your support or feedback on this idea for IPS to read to help make Gallery 5.0 better.

Note: Images uses from IPS Gallery 5.0 blog and Gallery on IPS website.

Posted

The problem with the new gallery look so far is, it looks to much like a forums interface not a gallery.

Yes, that's what the problem is. Thanks for putting it into words.

What you threw together isn't bad. I prefer things like pinterest though. Just show picture pictures pictures.
AlexJ likes this

Posted

Did they ever stop forcing us to have ugly square cropped thumbnails? If so I might check this version of the gallery out.

Posted

Did they ever stop forcing us to have ugly square cropped thumbnails? If so I might check this version of the gallery out.

My guess is we'll be forced to have square cropped thumbnails. Hope I'm proven wrong.

3DKiwi

Posted

agreed with Zack :)

The forum things looks so bad, please don't include it :(

Posted

Am I the only person that likes the square thumbnails? :S I can understand why you don't want them forced on you, but I hope they don't disappear. They're useful for stuff like recent gallery images sliders.

CallieJo, kotaco, Donkerrood and 1 other like this

Posted

I hope that IP.Gallery 5.0 will take use of the notification system. We want to know when someone commented on an uploaded picture.

CallieJo, Alfa1, svit and 4 others like this

Posted

The new look doesn't feel any special to me..I prefer the current look + Gallery 5 features.

joelle, svit, CallieJo and 1 other like this

Posted

The new look doesn't feel any special to me..I prefer the current look + Gallery 5 features.

Same here, the look wasn't broken, just the functionality and usability, the biggest problem/headache for my users was the upload process, much more complicated than it should be.

I propose something more like this:

post-286183-0-49858300-1341084349_thumb.

Incorporating a sidebar block feature for the gallery index to add and remove blocks to customize your gallery to your site and your preference, (also to allow for a skyscraper ad via nexus, I think some of us would enjoy that).

I think comments and the featured images should take the users first inital look then as you move down recent images and categories, then random images and other blocks.

I think along with the upload button there should be a link to manage the users albums and photos, people don't just use the gallery to look at pictures, many go there to try and manage theirs, why not help shortcut the process.

I think there should be a tad more ajax along with the single slider. For example:
Comments that scroll or what I'd rather: load the most recent of course, but allow you to scroll up or down to see earlier and back up to the current. With limits in place and the option to disable of course.
As well as random or recent images (from albums you choose, from one to all) you can scroll through because people like to click stuff and make things happen.

And of course allow the admin to decide how many photos to load per row and total and perhaps even thumbnail style on the gallery index.

Obviously thats a rough concept and just to help visualize but that's my .02
ørret, svit, XiuzSu and 8 others like this

Posted

Same here, the look wasn't broken, just the functionality and usability, the biggest problem/headache for my users was the upload process, much more complicated than it should be.

Incorporating a sidebar block feature for the gallery index to add and remove blocks to customize your gallery to your site and your preference, (also to allow for a skyscraper ad via nexus, I think some of us would enjoy that).

I think comments and the featured images should take the users first inital look then as you move down recent images and categories, then random images and other blocks.

I think along with the upload button there should be a link to manage the users albums and photos, people don't just use the gallery to look at pictures, many go there to try and manage theirs, why not help shortcut the process.

I think there should be a tad more ajax along with the single slider. For example:

Comments that scroll or what I'd rather: load the most recent of course, but allow you to scroll up or down to see earlier and back up to the current. With limits in place and the option to disable of course.

As well as random or recent images (from albums you choose, from one to all) you can scroll through because people like to click stuff and make things happen.

And of course allow the admin to decide how many photos to load per row and total and perhaps even thumbnail style on the gallery index.

Yes and no. If you had many albums the listing for the albums was to long thus making a long page (i.e. two to three). Scrolling that much was a problem and should be address, I just made something up that may work. At this point I'm not really concern about ads but more of the gallery as a whole ads can come later, IMHO.
CallieJo likes this

Posted

Yes and no. If you had many albums the listing for the albums was to long thus making a long page (i.e. two to three). Scrolling that much was a problem and should be address, I just made something up that may work. At this point I'm not really concern about ads but more of the gallery as a whole ads can come later, IMHO.

Well thats a non-index page issue that I had as well and I though it would be easily solved by showing the most recent images in each category and then a sidebar block with a definable list of recently updated albums with a cut off limit. To view older albums you can search tags or search by member, so searching so and so will bring up a list of their albums and you can choose which ot view from there.

Posted

Well thats a non-index page issue that I had as well and I though it would be easily solved by showing the most recent images in each category and then a sidebar block with a definable list of recently updated albums with a cut off limit. To view older albums you can search tags or search by member, so searching so and so will bring up a list of their albums and you can choose which ot view from there.

Maybe but a user want to go to a person's page then click gallery or just look for it in a the gallery? Users want usually the quick way to do things. Also the search function is let just say limited and needs improvement. Also you have to assume that the user name it what you are looking for in the tag, which is not always the case. So other view points to keep an a fix for later development.
The Nomad likes this

Posted

Maybe but a user want to go to a person's page then click gallery or just look for it in a the gallery? Users want usually the quick way to do things. Also the search function is let just say limited and needs improvement. Also you have to assume that the user name it what you are looking for in the tag, which is not always the case. So other view points to keep an a fix for later development.

True but they'd still be able to do that via the browse button which would allow them to wade through a huge mess of albums or photos depending on what they are looking for one by one, same as with any other site or function, if you're looking for something old or archived it won't be with the recently added stuff, nor should it be. Such as when you have to wade through pages of topics to find the one you're looking for or posts within topics, or just use the search feature. It's just about fine-tuning.

And again, the definition of what a person wants for a gallery will vary from community to community from niche to niche. So what I think the focus should be on myself, is #1 function and ease of use, and then allowing as much customization as possible with the gallery.

Posted

True but they'd still be able to do that via the browse button which would allow them to wade through a huge mess of albums or photos depending on what they are looking for one by one, same as with any other site or function, if you're looking for something old or archived it won't be with the recently added stuff, nor should it be. Such as when you have to wade through pages of topics to find the one you're looking for or posts within topics, or just use the search feature. It's just about fine-tuning.

And again, the definition of what a person wants for a gallery will vary from community to community from niche to niche. So what I think the focus should be on myself, is #1 function and ease of use, and then allowing as much customization as possible with the gallery.

Ahh same problem tho people don't want to browser through the whole gallery sometimes, you get the same issue. Again the current search don't come up with many images when you search. I think function and ease of use are the same.

Posted

Great job. I love it.
Mikey B likes this

Posted

Great job. I love it.

Love it but you still need the Global Albums and such.

Posted

Love it but you still need the Global Albums and such.

They're right there on the side...global albums are called categories now.

Posted

I would think you could disable the recent image area bellow, but this all supports my:

"People know what to expect from something like downloads or user blogs, but a gallery can mean any sort of ways of displaying images to someone."

Posted

That may work for small sites... the 'Categories' or 'albums' in one nastily long list in the sidebar is not helpful when one has a large amount of albums at all(the page stretches to infinity).... and was never a good idea IMHO in the first place.
You do not see this here on IPB as they only have 4 Top-level 'albums'/'categories'... that list does not limit nor paginate... shoot me, but what is shown for 5 for these is about a million times more scalable.

Posted

I hope that IP.Gallery 5.0 will take use of the notification system. We want to know when someone commented on an uploaded picture.

I hope so as well.

Am I the only person that likes the square thumbnails? :S I can understand why you don't want them forced on you, but I hope they don't disappear. They're useful for stuff like recent gallery images sliders.

No. I like them as well. Maybe there could be an admin option for those who need something else.

I like the current look, too. Just needs to function easier for end users. Would love to have the current look with the categories like Gallery 5 instead of in the sidebar. And an easier way to access, organize, and upload photos from profiles would be grand (similar to VB).

That may work for small sites... the 'Categories' or 'albums' in one nastily long list in the sidebar is not helpful when one has a large amount of albums at all(the page stretches to infinity).... and was never a good idea IMHO in the first place.

You do not see this here on IPB as they only have 4 Top-level 'albums'/'categories'... that list does not limit nor paginate... shoot me, but what is shown for 5 for these is about a million times more scalable.

Exactly. We have lots of categories and sub-categories. I'd rather the sidebar be used for something else.
AlexJ likes this

Posted

We use 4images and the thumbnail issue is addressed by setting size limits, either by width and/or by height. So the vertical pix are narrower thumbnails and the horizontal pix are shorter wider thumbnails.

The category issue is a big challenge. We have over 300 categories ... well 10 super categories or global categories and then sub and sub-sub categories. To me, the answer is accordion design via a sidebar. Click on a global categories, it slides open to show the sub categories, and click again to show the sub sub's ...click on the next global category and the others close up and the process starts over.

One very simple thing we have that makes the landing page of our gallery smokin' is tooltip, meaning glide your mouse over the thumbnail and poof, the fullsize appears as long as you hover over that thumbnail. It's a great way to scan a bunch of pix.

I hope to have a coder working on adding image comment notification to the ip board mods, and also one super ipcontent hook... once the Nanny takes over for diaper duty ... :)

Posted

Yes side but need to be more standout out-ish, it on the side never really work in Gallery 4, have you seen what it was like before Gallery 3. It had a better layout in terms of main albums.

Posted

Well again, this is only an index listing, I don't see why you can list as many top level albums as you want and then put sub-albums within to keep things organized? Then click on the category you want to bring up the the next screen showing recent images and sub-albums within, or whatever. I don't see why a site would have extreme amount of top level categories anyhow, that'd just spread everything out way too much imo. But again, thats just my opinion and what would work with the sites I run.

Posted

Yes side but need to be more standout out-ish, it on the side never really work in Gallery 4, have you seen what it was like before Gallery 3. It had a better layout in terms of main albums.

I tihnk it's plenty, even gallery based sites like DeviantArt keep their categories for the site to a sidebar that moves down a tier each click. http://browse.deviantart.com/ But again this is just a case of your preference vs mine.