SMF -> IPB, large conversion

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi All -

As a happy customer of IP's products, I've managed to convince a large forum (1.35 million posts, 125k users) that I work closely with to switch away from SMF to something more stable and robust like IPB.

I've been running a converter locally on a recent db backup to iron out any kinks and I have a few comments / questions. Feel free to move to the suggestions forum if you feel that is more appropriate.

When converting...

[*]Custom Profile Fields - Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'pf_show_on_reg' at row 1

mySQL query error: INSERT INTO pfields_data (`pf_title`,`pf_desc`,`pf_content`,`pf_type`,`pf_not_null`,`pf_member_hide`,`pf_max_input`,`pf_member_edit`,`pf_show_on_reg`,`pf_admin_only`,`pf_group_id`,`pf_key`) VALUES('Real name','Let everybody know what your actual name is.','','input',0,0,255,1,'',0,6,'realnam')

I was able to manually run the query with a 0 instead of an empty string which solved this.

However, shouldn't the converter know what field type this is and if it doesn't match, change it to a default value?
  1. [*]Comment out all avatar-related error logging within the converter [*]Empty out the last run .cgi files in the cache folder.
    1. [*]Why is it logging to the DB when it already has a log (and uses it) on the filesystem? [*]why is there no way to disable logging to the DB if we're forced to use it?

mySQL query error: INSERT INTO topics (`title`,`start_date`,`pinned`,`forum_id`,`starter_id`,`starter_name`,`last_poster_id`,`poll_state`,`posts`,`views`,`state`,`topic_queuedposts`,`approved`,`title_seo`) VALUES('จำหน่าย วัตถุดิบ,อุปกรณ์หนังเทียม จุ๊บต',1303292423,0,33,218433,'Add9300',217242,'',2,10,'open',0,1,'-')

SQL error: Data too long for column 'title' at row 1

SQL error code: 1406

This is as far as I've gotten with the conversion (haven't touched posts, polls, PMs, attachments, ban filters or warning logs yet). Frankly, it isn't helping me make the best case to convert for the others :( Has anybody done a large conversion like this, and ran into similar problems / has advice for moving forward?

[*]Why no check against the length of the title if you're already running it in PHP? [*]No option to truncate? [*]No option to pick up at the last error?

[*]Members, a lot of avatars have disappeared over the years. After about 12k members I'd run into a problem where the converter was logging all of the errors in one row in the DB. Naturally, this became a very large string and even with a longtext column for the values, it'd overflow. I had 2 things I had to do to fix this: My questions / suggestions: [*]Topics - I just woke up to unfortunately, yet another error. I admit this is more of a problem from SMF, because they are stupid enough to allow this... but,

Posted

That's very odd. I barely had any issues converting a 2GB+ database. If you want I can give it a try tomorrow .

Posted

Yeah, I had a few more type cast conversion issues when finishing it up. Placing an (int) in front of a few of the items seemed to work OK.

Sefket - you came from SMF? Which version (1.X or 2.0) if I might ask?

Posted

Yeah, I had a few more type cast conversion issues when finishing it up. Placing an (int) in front of a few of the items seemed to work OK.

Sefket - you came from SMF? Which version (1.X or 2.0) if I might ask?

One of my forums was SMF. 1X

Posted

Ahh, I'm coming from 2.0.2 - I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I guess I need to open up a few bug reports ;)

Posted

As an update, I've put a these in the tracker and included optional solutions / workarounds in the event that anybody else needs them and IPS cannot update the scripts fast enough.

I also ran across another error, duplicate members will result in an SQL error upon updating the post count. Workaround included in the ticket.

I'm really glad I tested this locally before trying the real deal! ;)
lordi likes this

Posted

As an update, I've put a these in the tracker and included optional solutions / workarounds in the event that anybody else needs them and IPS cannot update the scripts fast enough.

I also ran across another error, duplicate members will result in an SQL error upon updating the post count. Workaround included in the ticket.

I'm really glad I tested this locally before trying the real deal! ;)

Great job on that :)! Let's hope they fix this soon.